During my “trial and error” phase of bread making…I had a LOT of unused bread. This recipe helped me reduce the waste and create something that I love! Sometimes now, I will make a loaf just to cut it up and let it dry out for granola. Super versatile recipe. Make it what you love!
- About 1 pound of stale, dry sourdough bread
- 1/2 C Slivered almonds
- 1/2 C Chopped hazelnuts
- 3/4 C Puffed rice or puffed kamut
- 1/4 C Chia seeds
- 1/4 C Flax seeds or meal
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3/4 C- 1 C Honey
- Run stale bread through a food processor until you have both fine and chunky crumbs
- In large bowl, mix all ingredients until honey is well distributed and everything is coated evenly.
- Spread onto a baking sheet lined with parchment.
- Bake at 325° for 30 minutes. (Stir granola every 10 minutes while baking)
- After 30 minutes baking time, let granola sit undisturbed until completely cool. Break up and store in an airtight container.
You can add whatever ingredients you like to this recipe. Add the nut varieties you love! I have added oats, muesli, dried fruits, etc. Just make sure you add enough honey to coat evenly. If you want yours more chunky or sticky, add more honey…if you want it more dry and crumbly…add less! It’s heavenly with some yogurt and fruit, or even pour a little milk over it and warm it up.